Friday, August 1, 2008

Analyzing (the act of) analyzing

The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse. -John Gardner

Perhaps something I need to consider more.

Watched Dr Horrible at last. I feel...inspired.

There was something about his thoughts and way and acting - the psychology behind the character, that made me think. Or rather, reflect.

So strange how fictional characters always seem to embody our ideals, thoughts and dreams? Like a magnifying glass, enlarging what was a mere fleeting thought to an image - something more. I suppose this is how symbols are made.

Friends tell me that I analyze books and movies too much. Its so strange - whenever I read or watch something I analyze it a little; its almost subconcious now. At least, I'd like to think I'm analyzing it. Me thinks I merely enjoy the movie for the references and ideas behind them. In a way, its no longer just the plot and show - its what the author is seeking to achieve.

Is it wrong, to view a movie through critic eye? In fact, is it even accurate to say I view the world through a critical eye? Perhaps I'm merely looking at the surface, stating yellow as yellow and air as air - what others feel and absorb and learn from I study with a fascination that makes them seem so much bigger. Yet it is all the same message in the end.

So many ideas...so many thoughts. Someday I will have the time to share them. Develop them and let them grow.

Someday.

No comments: