Saturday, March 15, 2008

Random thoughts

Few things I should say

Firstly, you know about the question: "What is the meaning of Life?"

Its grammatically incorrect. There's an 's' missing in there.

Second, if you read my msn, theres the case of Freedom. Which i amusingly realised can be arranged with an extra 'o' to spell Free Doom. I wonder...

Anyway, this post is to thank 1 person for a major emo session, as well as to ponder on the question of appearance versus structure. And perhaps a little on leadership...

You know when you build a tower, you make the skeleton first, before you add the facade? But a tower is not composed purely of a skeleton, nor is it entirely a facade. A tower as a skeleton does not appeal, while a tower without a skeleton falls.

I suppose the same can be said in life. I've always been an advocater of "being true in our work", but more and more I find appearances are needed. Mainly cause people these days always downgrade everything they see by one.

So if you drew a good picture, it becomes an average picture. Unless you advertise, which cancels each other out. At least, this is the case I find with most people.

Also, I find that the statement "The one who claims the most, ends up with the most claim" rather accurate. This is somewhat linked to the other phrase "Whoever crows the loudest and longest gets the prize." Perhaps I should become a bloody pushy bastard and start INSISTING on my way? Because people bloody push me around with THEIR way.

When you become an integral part of something, no one appreciates you any longer. Its because you've become so much a part of thier lives, they take you for granted that you'll always be there. In a way, that in a sense is a form of recognition. Its the kinda recognition I want., but if only it was a little more glorious...

Question here is: Do you want to get things done. Leaders fight for the highest post, but a pile of shepards with no sheep are essentially useless, until one of the shepards realises he can start taxing the other shepards for not having sheep. Then the whole cycle starts again.

I much rather be a sheep, thank you very much Adam Khoo, and pick my leaders. What people fail to realise nowadays is that there isn't a shortage of leaders. Its the good ones that are few and far between.

Good leaders should have good followers. And so I shall kill my pride, and jeer at all you leaders out there: Do a bloody good job okay? Cause I'm putting my life in your hands.

People lead because its the optimal position. They can be who they are, and people follow them for who they are. Its the best point between inner and outer fulfillment. When your goals become other's goals, it becomes so much easier to accomplish them.

Yet alot of people never think to follow. They never ask themselves "What makes a good follower? Someone who blindly listens?" No. A good follower is one who helps the leader, who works WITH the leader and not AGAINST him or BEHIND him. A good follower is like an adviser, a partner, watching the leader's back, and in his own way, becoming a leader as well.

Why settle for second best? Because you'll kill each other for first. That's why.

3 comments:

Uncle Edna said...

Wow. That's some real deep thoughts there. I like that list line of the post. But there's something I want to say.

"Perhaps I should become a bloody pushy bastard and start INSISTING on my way? Because people bloody push me around with THEIR way."

Do you really want to stoop down to their level?

Demel said...

It's annoying that people who come to any revelation express it in a way that gives others the impression that you're stuck with a superiority complex.

Their level? An activist pushes for what he believes in and insists you follow him even though you're completely against his views. A manager insists that his methodology is correct and should be followed despite the fact that you know better.

Isn't the onus on you to prove your way to be superior? Call me sheltered and uncultured, but I feel myself just as much a 'bloody pushy bastard' if I need to convince people.

Kill each other for first? You're the one who's turning it into a massacre in the first place.

There is a job in a good follower to guide a bad leader if he cannot pick a good one for himself.

Demel said...

Sorry, this is Jarrel, I can't be bothered to get an account.

Herrick's first line by the way was aimed at Kevin, not Hui Jun.

Anyway, if you have a better idea than your "leader", speak up. Which kinda invalidates the idea of leaders doesn't it >_> Anyway, aren't most decisions now done through panels and discussions, having a single leader is just an anachronism.

The job of a good follower isn't just to guide the bad leader, its to acknowledge the non-existence of the leader.

Having the demarcation of leader and follower ultimately is just for foolish bureaucratic purposes.